Monday, June 8, 2009

I CANNOT Bake


I tried to make banana bread....this was the result. My mom brought some banana bread over a few weeks ago, and I've been dreaming about it ever since. I thought I'd try making some - whole wheat though - so I don't feel as guilty about eating half a loaf. I got a well-reviewed whole wheat recipe at allrecipes.com, and I followed the recipe exactly, I swear. However, it said "cool on a wire rack for at least 1/2 hour" so after removing it from the oven, I immediately flipped it out of the pan onto the wire rack. Well, half of it stayed in the pan. The pan was greased, that wasn't the problem, I think I just should have left the bread relax in there for awhile. On top of that, I don't think I cooked it long enough. Eating it this morning, it was pretty mushy, but not bad, didn't seem to bother Kaia or Halle. Since then, I remembered that the whole wheat flour I used was pretty old (I just don't bake often, do you see why?). So my new theory is that the old flour ruined the recipe, and the rushed, post-oven transfer did not help matters. I bought some more bananas today. I'll try again when they get old and nasty. Until then, I'm still convinced....I CANNOT BAKE!

4 comments:

Carrie Ann said...

When it said "cool on a rack for 30 minutes," it meant to put the whole pan on a rack for 30 minutes. That would have continued to cook the bread as well, solving both problems at once! It's not your fault - I think the recipe should have been written better, probably.

Jenna said...

Really? Put the whole pan on the rack...hmm. Does having the rack really make a difference then? Yes, the recipe should have been more clear!

Carrie Ann said...

I think the rack does make a difference in some way... I think it allows for better airflow to cool the pan/bread evenly, as opposed to the top part cooling while the bottom stays hot (insulated by the oven mitt or counter or whatever). The residual heat from the pan, and in the bread, is what continues the cooking process after it comes out of the oven.

Jenna said...

You're so smart, Carrie! I guess following Barefoot Contessa pays off!