Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Freezer Cooking


Yesterday I spent the day mass producing Breakfast McBiscuits - the homemade version of Sausage McMuffin with Egg from McDonalds. I made 60 sandwiches. I was exhausted! And my house stinks of fried food. Now I know what it would be like to work at McDonalds.
What for, you say!? Well, some women in my MOPS (Mothers of Preschoolers) group formed a Supper Swap co-op. Once a month, we each make 7 of the same recipe, freeze it, and then exchange. I come home with 6 new and different meals to stash in my freezer to take out and cook anytime I want. The nice thing is that most meals are made for a family of six, so Mike and I get several meals out of one. It's a lot of work smashed into that one day, but it's so worth it.
A few people have asked about recipes for freezer cooking since you can't freeze just anything. I thought I'd try to post them on the blog when I come across good ones. There's also a link to the right for 30 Day Gourmet which is a good freezer cooking site with tips and recipes.
So the recipe for the McBiscuits is really easy:

BREAKFAST McBISCUITS (recipe is for 1 family)
12 english muffins
12 sausage patties (fully cook them before assembling sandwiches)
1 dozen scrambled eggs (I baked the eggs in a baking pan and cut with a biscuit cutter so they'd
be round and perfect!)
12 cheese slices

Split muffins, and top with 1 patty, 1 cheese slice, and some scrambled eggs. Wrap each McBiscuit individually with foil, and freeze. You may need more than 1 ziplock to store all of them. To serve: place thawed, foil-wrapped biscuit in the oven and warm at 400 for about 15-20 minutes. You may need to then unwrap and wrap in a damp paper towel and microwave for a minute or two.
I don't think we'll eat these as a dinner, but they'll make a quick breakfast or lunch. I have a few more recipes, but I'll post them later. For future reference, if you ever want to view just the recipe postings, you can click on "Recipes" to the right. Try it, pretty cool, huh?

No comments: