Thursday, April 24, 2008

Our First Trip to the ER

Well, Kaia made her first trip to the ER this morning...she's fine, but I'm reluctant to post this story because I feel so guilty. We were walking down the back steps (yes, the scene of the dreadful knee accident), I was holding her hand and she lost her footing, so I kept her upright by her arm and lifted her to the next step. I heard a pop and she started crying. She calmed down, we started our errands, but I noticed everytime I moved her arm, she cried. Upon further examination, I realized she wouldn't even move it, not to grab a cup, a toy, even suck her thumb. So we went straight to the ER. The nurse took one look and said it was probably Nursemaid's Elbow, which is a slight dislocation where tissue gets pulled between the two bones. It's very common in preschoolers and can be caused by something as simple as pulling an arm through a coat. It turns out, that was the diagnosis. Kaia cried a lot as the doctor popped it back into place and then cried some more when they did x-rays to make sure it wasn't broken. But now she's perfectly normal, using her arm like nothing happened. The doctor said there's no lasting effects, but she is more prone to have it happen again now. I still feel really guilty, but the nurses assured me I did nothing wrong. I thought for sure they'd investigate me for abuse.

Kaia had a good time there though, besides the painful parts, it's a good thing too, we were there for close to two hours. The first thing the nurse did was set her up in front of the TV so we could watch WonderPets and Dora. Kaia doesn't get cartoons at home (we only watch the inappropriate, violent stuff, kidding). Then they brought in a puppy! Turns out the doctor brought in his brand new puppy for the day. He looked just like Kylie did when we brought her home, only black. Kaia thought that was cool. Then she got stickers, her favorite! While we waited for her discharge papers, she wandered around squealing "Tickers! Tickers!" All in all, it was an eventful morning! Hopefully we never have to do that again!

1 comment:

Heather said...

i'm glad she is much better now. connor and i talked about it, and we think a ramp would be awesome, cause you could play with cars on it.